Head in the Trees

Monday, March 21, 2011

Garden Gadget Today, Heirloom Tomorrow

 

Piggy and I are both smiling. I got a pruner without breaking the bank.
Piggy is a special heirloom from a friend's mom, I love Piggy!
 
There's been a Gardener's Supply gift card burning a hole in my pocket. While I'm not a gadget gardener, there is one item that I've been lusting after for years. A Felco Pruner. One reviewer suggested the pruner will become a family heirloom. Doubt it, there are lots of pruners with my name in Sharpie marker that are M.I.A. 

,
Wow, that's a long thumb and it's not even green.

An end to the ice dams almost put an end to a new tree.

This ironwood (American Hornbeam) was planted from bare root last spring. When the icebergs came off the roof it got hit. It's been a long winter, time to get out and prune.


I pruned the broken branch to the left and the one below it.

Several new trees were pruned and the time was right. Pruning in late winter, just before spring growth starts, leaves cuts exposed for a short period of time before new growth begins the wound sealing process.

This information comes from, "Pruning Trees and Shrubs" by Mike Zins and Deborah Brown, University of Minnesota Extension Service Horticulturists. Before pruning I often refer to this publication; http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg0628.html

I really liked working with the Felcos and might need to invest in the pruner holster, need to keep them around for the heirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment