Head in the Trees

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fungus Gnats in My Plants (Plants NOT Pants)

Easily mistaken for fruit flies, these little black gnats are found resting or flying near plants.

Red the dog, on the lookout for gnats.

Fungus gnats are an indicator of overwatering or decaying matter in soil. In my case I know what is to blame.

I've been trying to force "Paperwhite" narcissus bulbs to bloom (plant on far left). They are not thriving and the gnats are munching on the decaying bulbs. Even the dog is sad for the droopy plants.

To get rid of the gnats I'll dump the entire contents of that pot into the compost bin, because I won't get a bloom off this bulb again. "Paperwhite" narcissus are a tender bulb that grow in zones 8-11, so I can't hope for it to rise from the dead in the compost bin and survive a winter planted outdoors.

There's a strawberry pot under this jungle.

I'm also going to let the soil in all other houseplants completely dry out between watering, just in case the gnats are have moved to other plants (not pants).

No comments:

Post a Comment