Head in the Trees

Friday, March 4, 2011

Forcing Forsythia


A couple of vigorous forsythia shrubs are planted right next to the driveway and the branches have been scratching our cars since last summer. However I didn't want to trim them until the time was right. (The right time being when I can bring them in after a long winter and force a bloom).


Forsythia, not beer.
 In the beginning of February there was a day that was above freezing. I cut a few branches down to the main stem and took them into the basement. I gave them a new cut under running water, pounded the base of the stem with a mallet and put them in a large pail of water.


There's a hint of yellow - I think.

In the meantime I should have changed the water (but I didn't). Today I noticed a hint of yellow, so I made new cuts, put warm water and the stems in vases, and brought the vases upstairs to where it's warm and sunny.


There should be blooms within a few days.

Update, we got blooms! http://amyablegardens.blogspot.com/2011/03/forsythia-to-ceiling.html

No comments:

Post a Comment