Head in the Trees

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson

In the old days every family trip included at least one "educational experience" the worst one was in Alabama. My sister and I had 3rd degree burns on our faces and sun poisioning (baby oil, sun, and northern skin). So instead of beach time, we had to cover every inch of skin and tour the USS Alabama and the Huntsville Botanical Gardens, not a highlight for a 13-year old.

A laser peel was small beans compared to the blistering sunburn of my youth.

My folks still insist on educational experiences but now I enjoy them. On April 3rd we stopped at The Hermitage, the home and burial place of Andrew Jackson.
 

April 3rd and lilacs were in bloom, The Hermitage.

The one-acre, early 19th century flower garden located beside the Hermitage mansion is one of the most authentic in America. Today’s plants date back to that era, and some – including several trees and flowering bulbs – were planted in Jackson’s time or are direct descendants of the originals.


Entrance into garden from house.

William Frost, an English gardener was hired by Andrew Jackson in 1819 to plan and lay out the garden at The Hermitage.

Overview of garden layout. Andrew and Rachel Jackson's tomb is in the back of the garden.
There's also a small family burial plot.

The garden was designed as a typical four-square English garden common in Europe since the Middle Ages, consisting of four quadrants and circular center beds. These were planted with flowers, herbs, shrubs, vines, vegetables, berries, and fruit trees.

A restful place, note tomb in back of garden.

Holy Tree Peony

I'm finding myself drawn to the formal garden layout and gravel paths. Although I have definite opinions about stones as "mulch" I do like crushed stone paths.

Nice focal point, the wowy house.

My garden goal is to add some thought to the design of the beds and bring all parts together in a semblance of a whole. And I will be wearing SPF 50 and a hat when I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment