Head in the Trees

Monday, April 18, 2011

Bring Out the Spring Containers Already


Ready to deliver some color and then off to prune a forest of hydrangea.

It's been a slow start to spring but I admit I don't mind. When the days get warm we tend to freak and think we need to get the tomatoes in (please wait until late May for that). 

Let me be a downer and mention the stuff that could be done in the yard. http://amyablegardens.blogspot.com/2011/04/stuff-to-do-while-we-wait-for-spring.html

Or plant a container of spring-blooming annuals.

Kowalskis sets the bar high, love their containers and use them for inspiration.

Fill the container with pansies, violas, tulips, daffodils, or ranunculus. I noticed really nice looking ranunculus at Bachmans. Although I've seen it in Arizona and California, I don't think I've ever seen for sale as a potted plant in Minnesota.


Use willow, dogwood or any branch with interesting bark to create height and texture, throw in some wheat grass seed and you'll have a sweet little "container lawn" in a week or so.

I've got a few sources for willow but would prefer not to be sneaking around parks with my pruner.

Then in late May or early June when there's really a lot of gardening to do, add one more thing to the list and switch out your containers to warm-weather loving plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment